I Forge Iron

Insane-O-Flex

monstermetal

So I have spent some time working on the sub table for my bending table...

This is 3' wide and 13' long to match the cast top

So the 3" thick cast iron T slot table will bolt to this with 50 1/2 Cap screws..

The top is 1" plate.... I used what I had for the stiffeners... The box lookin things are 8 X 8 X 3/4 angle... the big blue chunks are 8" X 2" flat bar.. the small ones are 6": X 1" flat... the long way is all 5" X 3" .250 tube... the legs are 5" X 5" X 3/8... I am going to put a chunk of 8 X 8 X .250 sq tube between the legs as a strong back spine...

This has to be up there with one of the Heavy duty tables of all time...

I welded the one side to my 2" thick fab table and clamped the other side... trying to keep it flat... the sub structure is all welded together, maybe tomorrow I'll weld it down the the 1" top..
4247364130_de14cb55fc.jpg
4247364058_08d10ebf66.jpg
4247216336_fe8799d9e9.jpg

The cast iron Top that will go on this is on the right...4246607215_740744d5f7.jpg

I think will all those chunks welded across the short way it should be good and stiff... Once I get the cast iron top bolted down I'll start building the fixtures for the hydraulics

With the stiff back welded in place you can start to see the "heavy duty" part...4250332720_43530f6864.jpg

4250332836_e093ba8afc.jpg

And flipped over with the cast iron in place...
4250332964_f49e913ab0.jpg
4249559173_a0261dfddd.jpg

I got all 55 1/2" holes drilled and tapped... I'll bolt the top down tomorrow...

Im going to have to work on some paying work though... I spent about 40 hours in the last three days working on this thing... thats what happens when you have to scrounge and make due with what ever material you can find... I bet I could have saved 15 hours buy buying new stuff...

I got all 55 1/2" holes drilled and tapped... I'll bolt the top down tomorrow...

Im going to have to work on some paying work though... I spent about 40 hours in the last three days working on this thing... thats what happens when you have to scrounge and make due with what ever material you can find... I bet I could have saved 15 hours buy buying new stuff...

haha, wish my scrounging spots were a quarter as good as yours monstermetal. Looks like a pretty serious table.

Since the flatifier squashes things like carbide tools, will the insane-o-flex do things like bend cars into pretzels?

It does look very impressive, and I very much look forward to seeing it work.

I dont know about cars... But big heavy steel things for sure... My hope is to have around a 100 ton of combined force and be able to push in 3 axis planes at one time.... We'll see how that works out :unsure:

Dude, that thing is awesome! How much does it weigh? We should have a contest to see who can guess the weight! I am estimating 2800 pounds.

Well I can tell you already you lose :P .... Its closer to double that... The cast top alone is more than that.... Its 14' long and 3' feet wide and 3" thick.. and about 70 percent solid... My guess the top is around 3200lbs The way my 5 ton hoist was groaning and the chain stretching I would say the whole thing is close to 3 ton... I dont have a big dynometer anymore... the one I got is only good for 5K.... Im just about positive its over that..

I made a discovery that was disappointing today.... I reamed out all the 1 1/4 pin holes with an endmill in my mag drill.... put a few pins in and starting looking at layout... and the pins are not all spaced equally which I think is retarded.... The spacing between the T slots is not even identical ( they are only a 1/4" diffrent, but still why wouldn't you make them the same?) running down the table the pin holes are all in a line and equally spaced But the each step across the short way is a little diffrent from the one before.... Just a bummer in my book... if the spacing was the same C to C every way it would make it much more versatile.... Each row is in the same plane and each column is in a plane so I'll just have to work with that....

Larry,

What's the hydraulic setup, enerpac?

Im not sure yet what all might end up on there... I have 4 enerpac pumps and about 6 30 ton 10" stroke cylinders as well as various other small ones.. and they will be used to a degree.. But Im trying to figure out if I should put a hard mounted big cylinder in place.. I have a 6" bore 42" stroke parker cylinder that is just to nice to not use someplace and a bunch of other stuff... I have a 15PH pump unit and a 5HP... and a 10HP 5000psi set up... So trying to figure out what will work best is really where im at... I really want to have one set up that I can do multiple things with.. I know it looks like I got alot of space but the truth is working on big scale projects you have to have some open floor just to swing things around and stuff..... I build lots of staircases and without having room to stage stuff it can be a real nightmare (from some of your pics looks like you have the same problem Dillon)

wow that is heavy duty!

I am interested to see how the rams and arms will move about

you could probley bend anything on that with the right attachments

plus to boot you could jig a trophy truck tube chassis on it as it sits

been saving steel for this one for awhile I bet

• 2 weeks later...

Larry,
Very cool project. Apparently bending tables in the pacific northwest are not required to undergo steroid testing (anyone can plainly see that your herky bending table is obviously on the juice). If Mark McGwire and Sanford and Son had a baby, it would be this bending table...
-DB

Larry,
Very cool project. Apparently bending tables in the pacific northwest are not required to undergo steroid testing (anyone can plainly see that your herky bending table is obviously on the juice). If Mark McGwire and Sanford and Son had a baby, it would be this bending table...
-DB

Thats pretty funny David!.... Hey I saw some of your work posted on the WWC site, Nice work!

• 3 weeks later...