I Forge Iron

Bending Fork / Scroll Tool dimensions?

Avadon

When creating bending forks as hardy tools or when creating scroll wrenches what is a good rule of thumb distance between the prongs? (I am of course excluding from this question hardy's or wrenches that have adjustable prongs. I'm curious about fixed prongs).

1231_bending_hardy_forks_1.375in.jpg
large_scroll_wrench.jpg

There is no rule of thumb per se, like all tools you make them to suit the situation, considering size of materials you are using them on, what you are using them for, (this helps determine the strength of the jaw, the length of the jaw, and the gap between tham) and then make them to suit.

I like to use leaf spring material to make mine,

If the jaws are not parallel you will have difficulty pulling scrolls level particularly in anvil hardy hole types.

The jaws also need to have smooth radius faces on the insides or they can marr the workpiece

You will probably find a large percentage of your work falls within certain limits, so make the sizes to suit

I have bending forks with jaws 3/8" wide 3/4" wide 1" wide 1.25" wide 3" wide plus other various ones I have made as required.

The ones I use most fall within the 3/4" to 1.25" range which I tend to use on scroll work and when profiling material to forms

There is no rule of thumb per se, like all tools you make them to suit the situation, considering size of materials you are using them on, what you are using them for, (this helps determine the strength of the jaw, the length of the jaw, and the gap between tham) and then make them to suit.

I like to use leaf spring material to make mine,

If the jaws are not parallel you will have difficulty pulling scrolls level particularly in anvil hardy hole types.

The jaws also need to have smooth radius faces on the insides or they can marr the workpiece

You will probably find a large percentage of your work falls within certain limits, so make the sizes to suit

I have bending forks with jaws 3/8" wide 3/4" wide 1" wide 1.25" wide 3" wide plus other various ones I have made as required.

The ones I use most fall within the 3/4" to 1.25" range which I tend to use on scroll work and when profiling material to forms

Excellent, thanks John B. Really appreciate this info. The one's I've seen around looked somewhat around 3/4" to 1" but I wanted a second opinion before I start fabricating. Thanks.

I also made a selection of sizes when I was starting out. These range from about 3/8 to 1-1/2" width.

Take note of what John said about getting the tines parallel. I made this mistake on a hardie fork. I used it a number of times on 1/4 to 1/2 bars with no problems. Then I was working some 1-1/2 x 1/4 flat bar and it really was noticable.

Good luck!

Dave

• 1 month later...

I've said this...the distance between is SLIGHTLY more than the stock that is to be be used. I've made quick short run ones by bending round stock into a U and arc welding on a handle. In using that style, you don't want to have the work in the curved bottom of the U, because the work will get tweaked. It's better to make the hickey* or fork with the interior bed of the U being flat and the juncture of the posts at sharp right angles.

It's best to use the two tools together, thus the bend can only come between the near fork post and the far wrench post.

*old fashioned name for the bending wrench

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of blacksmith schools