I Forge Iron

What are these hammers called?

Sacred Smith

please take a look at this video on youtube about a japanese bladesmith. my question is, what are these sledge hammers called? i want to make some, but i dont want to look stupid and not know what there called :P.

heres the link to the video. you might just want to fast forward a bit.

YouTube - Making authentic Katana with Japan's most famous swordsmith ????

Please reply as this is driving me crazy!!

Of course that style of hammer was common over 100 years ago in Sheffield England when they were used by the cutlers there; they were called a steady hammer as I recall.

That style of hammer was known in the USA till recently for saw tuning.

I always found it odd that folks will get real excited over japanese stuff when the same thing was common in their own cultures in the past.

Of course that style of hammer was common over 100 years ago in Sheffield England when they were used by the cutlers there; they were called a steady hammer as I recall.

That style of hammer was known in the USA till recently for saw tuning.

I always found it odd that folks will get real excited over japanese stuff when the same thing was common in their own cultures in the past.

Ya i guess rofl, but people dont do research about there own culture, they like to study about different cultures lol. or atleast i wouldnt. :D i really hope when i try to make one of these it goes well :p

• 1 month later...

I bought a Japanese blacksmith hammer(Kajiya Tsuchi) a few years ago, and it is one of my absolute favourites. The head only weighs 750 grams (~1,65 pounds), but it moves metal like a "standard" hammer twice the weight! The balance is awesome too, and the face still looks newly polished even after some heavy use. The only downside I have discovered with it so far is the price, corresponding about 120 U.S. Dollars.
714016_01_P_WE_8.jpg

It may look strange, but it feels great to work with. I bought it from a German supplier of high quality tools :Dick GmBH - Fine Tools

• 1 month later...

The Japanese hand hammer is different than the Japanese sledge hammer in that it is not as "head heavy." The sledge is proportionately longer in the head when compared to the hand hammer. It is long because the anvils are buried in the ground and are lower than Westerners' anvils. I have two Japanese hand hammers, and they have rectangular eyes. The hafts are rectangular at the eye end and fade into an oval for the hand grip. The eyes are canted, so that the haft enters at a slight angle. If a medial line is drawn through the hammer head, the haft would make a bit of an acute angle with that line. The faces are round.
The poll is not used for striking, just the face. When you pick one up to use it, there is no mistaking which way to hold it.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

I would call them awkward hammers, or maybe accidents waiting to happen, but I have no clue what the technical term is. That is not to take anything away from their skill in using them.

Anvillain

Some days getting out of bed is an awkward accident waiting to happen.

I suspect the hammer shape was in part an evolution of the tool to the work environment. The tool changed to better suit the workstation and the thickness of material being worked.

This style of hammer was used by cutlers and saw makers in the west, and sit down smiths in the east. The thin stock on an anvil that more than one smith used could influence the desire to have a longer hammer head, and the different body position of sitting, and striking at a low anvil would necessitate adjustments too.

But this is speculation and should be taken as such.

Phil

Hello,
When i was appenticed to a swordmaker in japan, he didn't call his sledgehammers of hand hammers anything special, just "big hammer" or "small hammer". they are fairly easy to make, and very useful for forging blades. traditionally, a steel face is forge-welded to a soft body, but nowadays they are mostly all steel. feel free to email me at shibumiforge@gmail.com or stop by the shop (portland, n. columbia blvd )if you want to have a look at them.

cheers,

arnon

please take a look at this video on youtube about a japanese bladesmith. my question is, what are these sledge hammers called? i want to make some, but i dont want to look stupid and not know what there called :P.

heres the link to the video. you might just want to fast forward a bit.

YouTube - Making authentic Katana with Japan's most famous swordsmith ????

Please reply as this is driving me crazy!!

One thing to remember with any traditional Japanese tool. They tend to do all work sitting on the floor as opposed to westerners who stand or sit at a workbench. Their tools work fine for them and their way of working. You may find them awkward unless you too decide to sit your anvil and yourself on the shop floor.

It'll be great for those mornings when you can't get up off of the floor!wink.gif