I Forge Iron

Mike Ameling dies

This from frontierfolk.net, an 18th-century re-enactors' board,where the news first emerged:

"Mike was hosting the annual packin this weekend. several of us showed up at his house to find it locked up. Thinking he had taken off with another friend who had come up earlier we got the key and went in. To make a long story short , we found him dead in bed.

I was fortuniate to have known mike for over 30 years and have counted him as not only my friend but my best friend. He was in my wedding, let me whine and cry on his shoulder, even slapped me upside the head to help me come back to reality. Mike was more then my friend he was closer to me then my own brother. There was never a better man to ride the river with. Mike had his own code to live by: love your family and friends and help others who want to help themselfs.

I think God took him from us now because he needed a good blacksmith to help shore up the pearly gates; and he is sure getting one of the best

Al Nielsen"

My anvil will ring indeed. My acquaintance with Mike was only through this and a couple of other boards -- muzzleloadingforum.com and historical trekking. But I feel like I have lost an old friend. And I am 56, which makes the whole thing even sadder for me.
Bill in Oregon

Mike exemplified the best of us on iforge, he was speedy with a witty remark, and generous with praise, willing to share, I would hope to have those attributes pointed out upon my own death, I will miss his presence, and look forward to seeing him in heaven. The anvil will ring in his honor here in western New York.

Mike was a fine man. I never new him except for my dealings with him hear. I will miss the grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands. Now for the rest of you out there, be careful. Frightening how fast thing can happen!

Edited by Fe-Wood
Spelling error

As one of many who enjoyed and learned a great deal from Mike's posts, we can be comforted in knowing that Mike spent his time here on earth doing what he loved to do....

I unfortunately never got to meet Mike, but I have for years been a big admirer of the many historical items he made..... from the reproduction strikers, to the sheet metal smoking pipes, to the viking fish spears...the list goes on and on.
The more I think about it, the more I realize how much of a giant of the blacksmith world we have lost!

After getting the news, I went out back to tap my anvil to salute Mike and spent a few moments thinking about how many beginners including myself were inspired and improved their skills from what advice Mike had given.

I then lit my forge and was able to FINALLY after several failed attempts produce a good serviceable set of tongs.
Even though Mike has crossed the river and has taken his rightful place with Hephaestus, I'd like to think that he knew I was thinking about him, and he gave me a nudge in the right direction

Thanks for everything Mike, we will miss you.

He may have gone, but will live on every time we make something he helped us with, and all his pieces that he made will be a reminder of the skills he had that will continue to be admired for years to come.

I salute you mike , and thank you for al you postings

John, I'm gonna mirror your post. The man left a lot of legacy and I plan to mention him at all camps. His passion for flint strikers (and living history) will live on. He was 3 months older than me. Putting things in perspective, life is short. Some of us have cheated death (or been blessed with another chance) more than once. We do not know however when the time will come finally. May he rest in peace.

That is a very sad new...

I spoke with him by e-mail a few years ago about flint strikers when I was in Physics Master working on sparks. We are very few deeply involved on flint strikers and I was very happy to find someone with so much knowledge on this subject. He gave me some very useful information on the historical shapes and their use.

I came to this forum to discuss about it with him again. But it is too late now...

My condolences to his family too.

Stephane.

• 5 years later...