I Forge Iron

Mike Ameling dies

Heard on another forum that Mike Ameling, "Mikey that grumpy old German blacksmith," has died. Anyone have details? Very, very sorry to hear this.

Obituaries Michael Ameling (August 26, 1953 - October 23, 2009)
spacer.gif
Michael Ameling, age 56, of Dorchester, Iowa, died on Friday, October 23, 2009, at his home, from natural causes. Private family services will be held at a later date.

I so hope this is a mistake.

I have never met or spoken directly to him, but he frequented a number of forums I use and always had interesting and knowledgeable advice he would freely give. I'm a bit lost for words to be honest.....

My thoughts are with his family and friends

Steve.

He will be sadly missed. I thoroughly enjoyed his contributions to the forum. Very knowledgeable and freely passed on that knowledge to anyone who wanted it.

I never met him myself, but feel like I knew him well through IFI.

Rest in Peace, Mike. I'll ring my anvil in your honor!

ahhhh man that makes me sad, one of my first Blacksmith projects was a Viking style flint striker that i saw in one of his posts and he even posted more for my use..well every bodies but to help me out all the same, i hope he knew my appreciation for his help and his inspiration.
It is a shame to loose a good and helpful man and my sympathies go out to those he left behind.
Mike i hope you made heaven an hour before the devil knew you were gone!

Does anyone have a confirmation on this?

I tried checking all the newspapers I could find online in his area (NE Iowa according to his user info) and could find nothing on the obituaries online. His last post on here that I could find was 09-07-2009.

If anyone knows anything for sure, please update us on any info you have.

Polarbear, thanks for the help. I have 2 personal friends that have known Mike for long time in smithing. No obit is posted yet (other than the name). As is with my own hometown, the paper is published once a week. I don't believe his hometown (Dorchester) has a paper. Decorah (county seat) does but is published on Thursday. If in fact the name listed on the funeral home link you posted is the same fella that posts here then his death is listed as Friday 23rd. I am sure more will be revealed as time passes. His home is about as far north in the state as mine is south. His historical knowledge and skill will be missed worldwide. I am sure more will be revealed as time passes.

Edited by Ten Hammers

Well it is definitely him and he is another good friend gone. Thanks to TenHammers for calling me. Mike was a good friend and a true scholar. Anything he made was true to the period and any research was as solid as can be. His compassion was contagious and he always had the neatest things, books, tools to show and share. He also made great cookies which he usually (always it seems) brought to the get-togethers where I saw him. Another good friend in this life's journey...

Schluter-Balik Funeral Home : Decorah, Iowa (IA)