I Forge Iron

$2 nippers to Tongs...

KYBOY

I thought I would post a pic of how I turn nippers into good usable tongs..These are plain bolt head style tongs from a couple pair of nippers I picked up at the flea market today..Often times they can be had for two or three dollars..First of all there are two things that I think are important when turning nippers into tongs...
1. Work them HOT!..I work mine at least a low yellow..
2. Anneal them after your done..I anneal my nipper/tongs when Im done. Good nippers are made from high carbon stuff and annealed they are still very,very strong..
Doing it this way I have had good luck with these tongs..They make one super strong pair and are great for turning and twisting..
Picture421.jpg

I once found an old horrible set of hand forged nippers with very large jaws (steeled too!). They were so large I was able to forge them into a set of tongs for hot firebricks---a really useful thing to have if you run a gasser with bricks for the ends!

Another one you can do is to forge cheap old tinsnips into scrolling tongs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi LTF. Welcome to IFI. Yes, annealing does soften the metal. The tongs are going to be in the heat so much that they will probably anneal anyway. As for "what's nippers"? They are used to trim horse hooves. The riens and joint are already formed. So all that you have to do is reforge the jaws. Saves time and keeps the tools in use. Hope this helps. :)
http://www.anvilbrand.com/p-469-item-000466.aspx

Edited by CurlyGeorge
Added Link

That is an excellent idea and job. I wish we had more of those discarded tools around here. You'd think we would be tripping over them but that's not the case. It looks to me that you forged the alterations without removing the rivets. If so did you have any difficulty which could have been avoided by separating the halves?

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Why would anyone think they would be common in places with pretty much zilch population density "back in the day".

NM is the same; most of the smithing stuff is brought in from other states recently though I keep hearing tales of tongs and stuff abandoned at old mine workings out in the nowheres!

I have a drawer half full of various size nippers. I've made several pairs of special tongs from them. I will have to try these. Did you form the Jaws in a swage?

Yes, I just happen to have a swage block but you dont have to have one. You can just flatten out the jaw then bend it around whatever size stock you need it for.

Just a couple of thoughts..good nippers have a little flare on the smith end of the reins....Good nippers are pricey..if you find a pair cheap seek a farrier and see if he or she think that they may be rebuilt if so they may buy them from you. PUll offs look a lot like nippers but not as good of steel, they usually have a ball end on the smith end of the reins.....Either will make good stock for reshaping,,pull offs usually have a little more metal in the Jaw end and most of them are sold for less money where I find them.....

• 4 years later...

Thanks for the link to this thread. I like the idea of reshaping nippers to make tongs.
I have found a couple of pairs that look like reasonable candidates. I would like to make bolt-holding tongs and my plan is to reshape the jaws usng a piece of stock the size I want to hold. Hope to do this without removing the rivet.
This pair of nippers is the usual type and should work well:
post-50874-0-60085500-1406806668_thumb.j
But this pair appear different. I first thought they were broken, but it seems the ends of the jaws could have been cut like that for some (mysterious) purpose. I'll cut them level, but I wondered if they were meant to be that way.
post-50874-0-12544600-1406806888_thumb.j
If so, anyone know what they were for?