I Forge Iron

1177 stressproof

While at the local steel supply I noticed that they had some steel they called stressproof, on the sheet it was called 1177. I can't find a whole lot of information on it. It is supposed to be hardenable and good for tools, cutlery etc. Anyone ever use it?? I picked up a chuck of 1/2" to try working with.

You can search on the net for data but my choice is to ask the supplier for a data sheet. That will give the suggested uses, heat treat information and any other data they feel is helpful.
Another thing that pops into mind is that I have a lot of years in the knife business and have used several steel alloys to make blades. I also read daily about what others are using and talk in person with other makers on a regular basis about wot they like and why. Never once has this steel come up in something I have read or discussed. My guess is if it was even a middle of the road steel for blades it would surface somewhere.
Here are things you need to know. How much carbon does it have? wot other additives are in the mix of steel? How is it heat treated? CAn it be forged or ground? Do you have the equipment and skill to work this steel? Can you or any of the companies that heat treat knives take care of that end? If you send it out for heat treat will that company do just one knife of this steel? Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the replys. I will stop back and see what sheets they have on it.
I don't think I will be making knifes with it (to uncertain a material at this point) but will try to make some punches and drifts and see what happens. From what I could find "stressproof" is a patented procress to surface harden (work harden?) steel. I found a fair amount on 1144 but only a few entrys on 1177. (typo?) It appears to be as nakedanvil say a medium carbon steel. It's fairly cheap and close by so until I can find a good supply of better steel I will give it a try and see what happens.

The guy at the steel supply told me that they aren't supposed to use their carbide cutoff saw, too much damage to the saw. They have to use a tourch to cut it to length. Sounds like a suface hardened material. It was a spur of the moment purchase, I needed 1/2' round anyways.

I will try it out some time this week and let you know.

John: I don't think it's quite accurate to say "also known as". Stressproof is 1144, but 1144 is not necessarily Stressproof. 1144 is not Stressproof until it has been cold-drawn and stress-relieved. And 1117 and 1177 would not be stressproof either. If you buy "Stressproof" it IS 1144. If you buy 1144 it can be Stressproof or not.

Now to wipe the egg off of my face. I stopped back and checked their catalog. Yup, it was Stressproof (1144). It said it was "high carbon, high manganese steel with good strength and wear resistnace. It responds well to heat treatment." Thanks to all for your comments. Seams more like medium carbon but should work okay for some tools. Has anyone used it for punchs or drifts?