I Forge Iron

My first rasp snake

Ya created a nice snake Gaylan!
In fact it looks good enough to give me the Willies!
I would like to try my hand at making one, but I have a question about when you fold the rasp! How do you keep from smashing the file teeth? or is that an issue?
Thanks for the view!
Ted Throckmorton

Drakeo11,
yes you just forge into a cylinder shape if it starts to twist then put in a vise and straighten with tongs the tail is the handle end of the rasp and on the head end i forged a piece of 1/2" square bar to look like a head then forge a taper on the other end put it in the end and welded then forged out the weld.
Ted to answer your question I forged it at a high red to low yellow and the heavy rasp side is out it knocks it down some but makes a nice texture.
Thanks for all the nice comments!!
Gaylan

They make lots of scale! Tonight I have to finish off rasptle snake #'s 9 & 10 of this years "crop" for the NM state fair. Last year I sold a dozen, paid for the winters forge propane.

I get used farrier's rasps as starting stock. I also thin down the tail and thread punched bottle caps on it to make "rattles" that give a pretty good impression of the sound of the real thing!

no digital camera or cellphone! I charge US$25 at the fair and 20% goes to the club. I've done so many of them that I'm playing with the tails---red white and blue, all mexican beers, UNM colours, etc. I have a large pool of friends that supply me with way too many bottle caps!

• 3 years later...