Glenn

Show me your touchmark

116 posts in this topic

Mines homemade from a hardened chisel.

post-4280-0-24618500-1395878499_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-09184900-1395878540_thumb.jp

Well, finally got around to finishing a touchmark. Spent way too much time and as usual, and in the end was not quite satisfied with the results. I first had to make a positive of the image on piece of H-13 and then a negative or reverse of that. The finished touchmark wasn't getting the results I was looking for so I made a second one with a concave shape that helped the nostril area show better. A two stamp process. I think where I went wrong was in my original positive. The image should have been more 2 dimensional and graphic, than trying to sculpt a realistic looking 3D nose. The punch has to push too much metal and doesn't look right. It'll have to do for now. 

post-27927-0-43688000-1402352688_thumb.j

post-27927-0-50272900-1402352715_thumb.j

post-27927-0-93409100-1402352729_thumb.j

post-27927-0-57509700-1402352743_thumb.j

Dognose, I LOVE that! Very nicely done!

I ordered my new touch mark from Stampman today, not talented enough to make my own! Very reasonable price, but mines pretty simple. I'll post a pic when it arrives in a few weeks.

Don't think I've posted mine before. Came from Incandesent Ironworks. They are great to work with.

post-6008-0-03941300-1402362692_thumb.jp

I give your touchmark an excited wag and a YIP! Beautiful punch Dognose, well done.

I shed happy fur on your dress pants.

Frosty The Lucky.

Made mine out of a straighten coil spring out of an old Ford ,annealing it allowed me to use a Dremel  and file to make the letters JTF as one , after that I tempered and hardened the tool.

Anything made in my smithy wears the mark. It's not the prettiest , but it does the job.

post-40976-0-73000200-1403342698_thumb.j

post-40976-0-95284500-1403342720_thumb.j

I use the name "Acorn Anviling"  for my forge so my touchmark is a simple acorn.
("Anviling" was what my then 4 year old called my hammering)

I also got mine from CMT, and they were great.

(kayak, I had the same response when asking for the iforgeiron discount, but I agree they are awesome)

post-22216-0-38597700-1403639032_thumb.j

Mine from CMT is sitting on my doorstep, I'm still at work! Dang UPS tracking! I know it's there and I can't get to it yet! Aargh!

awaiting mine at the moment, I think you can guess what it will be

here is minepost-15516-0-91745600-1406140654_thumb.j

it is larger than I ordered and should not have the rim, will have to get another done

Glad someone resurrected this thread, I'd forgotten that I promised to post mine and never did.  Oops.    I also keep forgetting to USE it....this gettin old thing is for the birds.

image.jpg

Edited by SpankySmith

I'm glad you revived this thread too, those are two good looking touchmarks.

Who made yours Ethan? I really like it's depth and look. Very strong look, I like.

I remember you saying in an earlier post who you ordered yours from Spanky but I'll need a repeat. I really like it too, it has a delicate intricacy, feminine without being lacy or frilly. Perfect Ladysmith touchmark. Oh yeah I like it.

Thanks for the looksee.

Frosty The Lucky.

hi frosty. for a thirteen year old boy its pretty special. I got it made in Edmonton Alberta, by a company called Stampco. it was a very custom order!

Edited by Ethan the blacksmith

How much if you don't mind me asking?

Frosty The Lucky.

my parents had to help me pay for it... I believe it was $350 or so, but we customized it allot. like having a round body with a hex head so it looked like my other punches.I am quiet proud of it!

YIKES! Custom one off products will always be expensive. Remember that when pricing for customers.

Frosty The Lucky.

Stampman here on IFI (aka columbia?) did mine.

preciate the girly remarks, thats what I was going for!  It's also an homage to a similar logo my dad used.  During WWII he had two rings made in Germany with his and moms initials, very similar design.

Better yet Spanky, family remembrance is good, a thing to be treasured. For instance, the liner in our wedding rings was made from a gold rig a dear friend of Deb's, passed some time ago gave her many years ago. Such things mean a lot.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I got a quote once from one of the stamp making companies (don't remember which one) for a simple three letters inside an oval, 1/4" size approx.  Cost was around $135.  Too much for my blood.  Bought a stamp from a tooling company, one letter with a circle around it, 1/4".  Cost then $14, now $16.  Maybe when I win the lottery I'll get a fancy one.  Tried making about three; all were disasters.

Yeah, much as I'd like a touchmark they're too expensive. It's not like I'm still earning a living. I've considered making a pantograph to hold my dremel to transfer a design to a steel die block then drive a punch and see how it comes out.

Yeah, something else on my get a round toit list. Is anyone's round toit list getting shorter?

Frosty The Lucky.

Is

anyone's

round toit list getting shorter?

They get shorter?

I know the mark I want, a letter D copying one on the Avant armor in Glasgow, but for now I'll stick with a simple D.

Thinking of this for a touchmark. It's a variation of a mongram I've been using since fourth grade, an intertwining of the "J" and the "C" of my initials. In this particular configuration, it hints at the middle "H" as well, plus it reads essentially the same right-side-up and upside-down. Thoughts?

Monogram.jpg