I Forge Iron

Making a Feather

A couple of people asked about feathers, so here is how I make them. I'm starting with 1/4" mild steel for this one. I sometimes use copper or pure silver. First draw a short, sharp round taper, then draw only the tapered part into a 1/8" rod,[this is how I would start a cat tail,also]. Cut the amount that you want for your feather off then draw a short, blunt taper. Next, forge the feather into the quill die starting at the base of the feather. Put some heat back into the peice to relax it and straighten it then do the chiseling cold.

15761.attach

15762.attach

15763.attach

15764.attach

15765.attach

15766.attach

15767.attach

15768.attach

15769.attach

thanks brian, i was one who asked for your method. i have a question if you will. your die, how is that made? i guess you could fold the piece in half to get the quill too?

You're welcome Pete. I made the die by forging a piece of spring the shape of the quill, then I hardened it in oil, tempered it to blue, then drove it into a hardy blank I made while the hardy tool was hot. You could fold form the quill, also.

Brian, when you speak, I have learned to listen.
I am so appreciative of your posts. I always learn something new.
Your willingness to teach us in such fine detail amazes me each time you share with us.
You have become supportive fiber that supports the backbone of excellence here at I Forge Iron.

If you think about it, what you teach us today will trickle down not only to those who are viewing today, but will (in time) most likely be viewed by thousands of blacksmiths over the next XXXX number of years who are looking for help to become a more skilled blacksmith.

I feel that you rank in the top group of teachers here at I Forge Iron. Your efforts have, and will have a far reaching effect with the future of blacksmithing now and in the future, so my hope is that everybody try

thanks a lot brian what beautifully clear instructions - and good ideas. its easy to forget (i imagine!) that beginners need really simple clear instructions in order to gain anything from the more experienced smiths on IFI - i really value those kind of lessons thankyou!:) great clear pics too!

Brian, when you speak, I have learned to listen.
I am so appreciative of your posts. I always learn something new.
Your willingness to teach us in such fine detail amazes me each time you share with us.
You have become supportive fiber that supports the backbone of excellence here at I Forge Iron.

If you think about it, what you teach us today will trickle down not only to those who are viewing today, but will (in time) most likely be viewed by thousands of blacksmiths over the next XXXX number of years who are looking for help to become a more skilled blacksmith.

I feel that you rank in the top group of teachers here at I Forge Iron. Your efforts have, and will have a far reaching effect with the future of blacksmithing now and in the future, so my hope is that everybody try

• 5 years later...

When Brian first posted this I grabbed all of the pictures and text and turned it into a pdf. I wanted to make sure I could take this out to the forge with me. As you can see it has the 9 pictures in it and mostly only his words but I did add a a littles to caption all of the pictures. I hope this helps.

Brian Pierson

Feather Making.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks to the two Brians. FYI, I am sending pics of a nicely done feather that Doug Wilson gifted me about 10 years ago.  Doug resides on Little Deer Isle, Maine, and is a student of nature. Doug's feather is left with natural forge texture and appears to be in the shape of a tail feather, another route to go. I don't know the method he used to get the quill; you can see an indentation on the reverse side.

post-74-0-89612400-1421254545_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-92609500-1421254572_thumb.jpg