I Forge Iron

Tools from spring.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some tools made from spring that I did because of the many questions I've seen about making some of your first tools. This spring ended up being 12' 6" long. I cut circles off it on the horn then straightened them in 3 heats being careful not to put any nicks or dings in the material. I then cut them on my hardy into 7" pieces. I forged the striking end first then then the working end. These are mostly one-heat square tapers, stop, or go to round in a second heat, or two sided tapers to form the chisel and fullers. I forge, grind, heat treat, test, and then it's ready to go.

This would be a nice starter set to think about making.

Hello
If anyone is interested I have collected over a dozen coil springs and two
complete sets of leaf springs, anyone interested should contact me at ...
kessler.ra@gmail.com..................... I had some serious injury and have been selling (cheap) all my material and tools. Including a 1/2 assembled
and 90% finished tire hammer, see listing under tirehammer.
Oh if u heat up the end of the chiesl till a magnet does not stick, not the
whole chiesl just the end u hit, let it sit overnight in vermiculite the stricking end will be softer than the working end. OLD STYLE secret???

post-6384-038920700 1284494697_thumb.jpg

post-6384-076918600 1284494742_thumb.jpg

Hello
If anyone is interested I have collected over a dozen coil springs and two
complete sets of leaf springs, anyone interested should contact me at ...
kessler.ra@gmail.com..................... I had some serious injury and have been selling (cheap) all my material and tools. Including a 1/2 assembled
and 90% finished tire hammer, see listing under tirehammer.
Oh if u heat up the end of the chiesl till a magnet does not stick, not the
whole chiesl just the end u hit, let it sit overnight in vermiculite the stricking end will be softer than the working end. OLD STYLE secret???

I hope that you recover from your injury.

What are those curly things below the springs and left of the spikes? I got a couple of them in a bucket of metal from Grandpa's stash.

Phil

If your talking about the three curved pieces they are from railroad track, if I remember right they are used almost like clamps or tie-downs, used a few of them myself free .5 x 1.5 if I remember right. I only ever found them in old piles after a run of track ties were reset.

Yes, that is it. I think somewhere it is mentioned that they are spring steel or some such.
Phil

Here is another tip about making hand tools from spring. I didn't learn it from Bob Patrick, but I considered it after he told me about welding round stock and wanting to end up round when finished. Forge it hex. When forging hexagonal, you have three opposing sides. So, when I forge the striking ends for the punches, I can hit 3 times and be done with the struck end instead of 4 or 8 or more if you want to go back to round. It just makes sense.post-4954-003636100 1284520364_thumb.jpg

never thought about forging hex, thats why i keep reading. as for those curly things, they are called creepers, because they keep rails from creeping along their distance and they are simple steel if i remember right. in any case they are good carbon steel and are usualy free from stress cracks because they are not ever flexed just knocked on and left. i have dozens of them because the rail boss of our line is a friend of my father and they just replaced the whole line by our store because coal is picking up and they move it all. they make them in a whole lot of shapes, i can think of six or so. the three they use on our line are 1/2 x 1 1/2, 1/2 x 1, and ones that are T shaped. the T shaped ones are super hard. they all make great tools in my opinon. kind of rambling but had to mention it.

Ed Steinkirchner

• 3 weeks later...

Three things: 1. thanks Brian for being yet another step in my fathomless education in my addiction.
2. All of the guys who keep these kinds of conversations going, thanks there too. Until we get the old blueprints back (I am never really available for the weekly chat), this is the stuff that helps
3. From a long time back, Gerald, I have no feelings of muddy waters. I wasn't able to view closely Peter's slitter. I just know the principle he was describing. Brian has made it very understandable.
4. go back to #1 above

pt

• 8 months later...

Brian, I'm about to chop up a coil spring to make some punches, and browsed through this fine tread for information. The only thing I'm missing is how you more in detail heat treat these tools.
1) Do you only harden the working end and let the striking end be normalized?
2) To what color do you temper the working end?

Brian, I'm about to chop up a coil spring to make some punches, and browsed through this fine tread for information. The only thing I'm missing is how you more in detail heat treat these tools.
1) Do you only harden the working end and let the striking end be normalized?
2) To what color do you temper the working end?

Tubbe, yes I only harden the working end and arrest the temper when purple is almost at the tip, that is, on the first temper, because it comes so fast, before it gets to purple at the tip, I quickly return to quenching the same amount and temper again and again until the temper colors stop running or slow down considerably.

Thanks Brian!

This is my first batch of spring tools that I made this week. I used about half the length of a 5/8" coil spring for these 8 tools.
post-12165-0-26987900-1309643431_thumb.j

Those look really good, Tubbe. You may want to try hex ends for the struck ends next time. You'll be surprised how simple and efficient it is. All you do different is turn 60 degrees instead of 90 degrees, and after 3 hits, you will have 6 sides.

I have more hand tools from spring than from anything else and do demos and classes on making tools from coil spring. One tip I can add is to slightly square up the material once it is straightened. Don't make it perfectly square, but leave the rounded corners for comfort in the hand. This will give a direction for the working end and stops it from rolling off of the anvil. Also on smaller stock it helps to stop the piece from bending when hit.

post-1310-0-09119900-1309870884_thumb.jp

I have more hand tools from spring than from anything else and do demos and classes on making tools from coil spring. One tip I can add is to slightly square up the material once it is straightened. Don't make it perfectly square, but leave the rounded corners for comfort in the hand. This will give a direction for the working end and stops it from rolling off of the anvil. Also on smaller stock it helps to stop the piece from bending when hit.

very good point Randy

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a friend stop by the house this evening and drop off two large coil springs. Needless to say I was pretty excited when I saw this thread. I can't wait to get back out to the shop and forge up some tooling. Thanks for sharing this knowledge!

• 4 weeks later...

sorry i can now see all the pics, brian, i dont quite understand about the dies, are you saying to effectively turn the near side of the hammer into a fullering die, or is that completely wrong?
many thanks
monty
p.s. i was also under the impression all your punches had some sort of flat pyramid/geometry, but from the pics it looks as if there are some with completely flat ends,
sorry if i am totally missing the point of all you say/show thank you very much for posting

sorry i can now see all the pics, brian, i dont quite understand about the dies, are you saying to effectively turn the near side of the hammer into a fullering die, or is that completely wrong?
many thanks
monty
p.s. i was also under the impression all your punches had some sort of flat pyramid/geometry, but from the pics it looks as if there are some with completely flat ends,
sorry if i am totally missing the point of all you say/show thank you very much for posting

Monty, the dies or surfaces I choose are half of the flat face of my hammer and the flat face of the anvil while holding the material at an appropriate angle. The hammer is tilted in the direction of the angle that I am holding in relation to the anvil and not tilted as you would to fuller material with the tilted flat face opposing the angle of your hold.
Like Alec said I will use flat punches occasionally, but rarely for punching very thin stock cold.
I will also use a flat punch when I want to end up with a countersunk hole, and I will punch from one side like a farrier punches holes.

• 1 month later...

I tried forging hex. Made an ugly mess the first few tries, but I have hex ends on some of my tools now.

I am trying to do a thin stock slot punch, for 1/4 inch or so material for making bottle openers, etc. and have been having difficulties with the correct grind needed for this. Can someone please post detailed, clear, and adequately large pictures of the grind.

Thank you

Phil