I Forge Iron

New Hand Crank Blowers

vikingnerd

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm...

The Japanese Box bellows that was linked earlier really has me thinking, which isn't necessarily good for anyone, but it has given me a good idea if i can't find/make a normal blower.

Actually, it's given me too many ideas...I may have to make a post on it later...

Edited by Rikadyn

I am hoping to get hold of some of the chinese made blowers. I will test these in my forge here. (For test read turn them over to the students). If they are any good I have a US importer who will take some and offer them for sale in USA.

So the answer is watch this space. I shan't be able to recommend (or warn against) them until I have actually tried them obviously. The electric squirrel cage blowers here are very good. I have had a 220ac one running almost daily for 3 years and it is as good as new. They also have the type of motor that can be slowed down using a dimmer switch which makes them very useful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On May 16, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Quenchcrack said:

Look what I found: 404 link removed
Too bad somebody couldn't get an import license and buy a hundred of these things and take orders for them. Hmmmmm.....?

I don't know if this is the blower you saw those years ago, but we have imported some hand crank blowers. When I ordered a sample, I wasn't sure if it was going to be flimsy, but it actually feels like it will hold together and moves quite a bit of air.  

blower diag.jpg

blower side.jpg

seen one like this at an event here last year, it had cost 50 uk pounds ( about $75 US )

it taken less than 5 minutes to break

​I have no doubt that the imported blowers are uneven quality. I expect we will need to check through them before we ship to buyers, and will stand behind their quality with a one year warranty. I don't think they will be around 100 years like the antique ones, but I was surprised they felt more substantial than I thought they might. 

Edited by Whitlox

Yes? I can believe that the grill might cut you if you forced a finger on it--that grill piece is thin aluminum, not the heavier material the body is made of. Did you see the gears? This blower comes either with plastic gears or iron ones-- I'm thinking it would be hard to break the iron gears by sticking your finger in the mechanism, but the plastic ones would likely break fairly easily. 

iron.jpg

plastic.jpg

Edited by Whitlox
pictures added

Hello new guy here. I purchased a Taheri blower on ebay. It arrived broken and bent handle a 2" outlet, it was cast iron body with I assume iron gears, way overpriced at $140.00 so I returned it , and have Ben researching 110 volt electrics with high static pressure and about 125 to 150 cfm's for a small forge.  I plan on using a blast gate or air-gate which I found on line for about $7.00 less delivery.  Everything I have read said that trying to slow the motor down decreases motor life.  I am wondering does any one have problems with squirrel cage motors vs centrifugal impeller type.  I am an amateur at best.  The forge I'm using is a centaur 12" round on a home made table. Kayne and sons has a 125 cfm for about $125.00 electric made in China any input on cfm's and how much do you need?

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I prefer to gate the intake or exhaust to control blast on an electric. If the motor doesn't rely on the blower's output for cooling gating the intake is by far the easier. I'd comment on CFM, static pressure, etc. but I don't know diddly about numbers.

On the practical side though, a garage sale blow drier will supply enough air for moderate sized forge work. I have a champion 400 and it produces WAY more than I need through a 2" outlet cranking it maybe 20 or so RPM. The electric blower I cobbled together runs directly off a 1728 elec motor through a 1 1/4" outlet and I've never opened the inlet gate more than maybe 1/2" or it just blows the coal out of the forge.

I haven't fired one of my coal forges in years coal is hard to come by here but one of our new guys has a line of a seam of good coal so maybe I'll get to mess with coal again.

On the other hand my gas forge works a treat but what the hey a person can't have too many forges eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Welcome aboard Perky . . . Guy? :rolleyes: Glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I haven't seen a report on one of those blowers. Maybe someone who bought one after seeing your post will remember to post a report.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...
On May 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Rob Browne said:

Have a look at centaur forge. They have blowers and may be a source of crankers.

They are, cast aluminum and USA made. That being said I have no idea how good they are.

• 1 year later...

$499 is an awful lot of money for a chain drive blower and no it can't have the end gear ratio of old school gear drive blowers and not much if any coast. If you've watched FIF I believe these are the blowers used in the no electricity coal forge episode. You can see the smiths cranking like crazy on the little bitty handles and the blowers coasting to a stop in a couple seconds.

The Champion 400 on my rivet forge will blow the coal out of the forge if cranked faster than a turn per second. For normal forging turning it one time every couple seconds makes a large HOT fire.

Frosty The Lucky.