I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Star's were supposedly made by a former employee of Fisher Anvils... Worked there about a year and then went out on his own.  According the literature I've seen, the cavity in the bottom was aid in the cooling and tempering of the anvil.  They were made from around 1850 to early 1860's if I remember correctly

CIRON, the 85 on your Broker is probably the weight in Kilos.

Oklahoma, get that piece mounted solid, and you are off to the races. You may want to mount it on end as opposed to how it is now. Doing so will put all of the mass under the hammer blow so you can maximize what you have. You only need an area as big, or slightly bigger than the hammer that you are using. 

CIRON, the 85 on your Broker is probably the weight in Kilos.

Oklahoma, get that piece mounted solid, and you are off to the races. You may want to mount it on end as opposed to how it is now. Doing so will put all of the mass under the hammer blow so you can maximize what you have. You only need an area as big, or slightly bigger than the hammer that you are using. 

LolYea when i was trying to figure out how to mount it initially i was hoping to find a stump or something but never did and i couldnt wait to start working so i built this as stable as possible.  i tried to support it on the ends and along the edge to shore up the main piece as much as possible.

the spikes used to make alot of noise but over time they kinda settled into a lump that doesnt move much any more

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to find out what I even have in this anvil. I'm hoping I didn't just waste my money.  am a former Marine living in Blue ridge Ga. Any locals that would be willing to help me get started would be appreciated. I am a knife maker but do stock removal right now, would be glad to trade skills and teach someone to grind for help in learning some forging thanks. Ron

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Welcome aboard Ron, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

That anvil is in beautiful condition, almost like it was a foot stool or something. What's it weigh? I don't recognize the make and will look forward to learning more about it, someone here knows something about it you betcha.

Frosty The Lucky.

I picked this up in cranbrook last September 2014.

Sahinler 150kg.  The man I got it from helped me with it into my truck. Then it went to my friend's  farm where he was kind enough to help lift it by hand.  I had a tarped up horseshelter as a forge for a while.  Then I bought a house with a garage and made a new stand. I used a 5 to 1 to lift the anvil by myself.  I tried uploading a video of the process but something tells me it's too big. 

20141121_153933.jpg

20150210_213224.jpg

On 22 December 2015 at 5:16 AM, Dayne said:

I picked this up in cranbrook last September 2014.

Sahinler 150kg.  The man I got it from helped me with it into my truck. Then it went to my friend's  farm where he was kind enough to help lift it by hand.  I had a tarped up horseshelter as a forge for a while.  Then I bought a house with a garage and made a new stand. I used a 5 to 1 to lift the anvil by myself.  I tried uploading a video of the process but something tells me it's too big. 

20141121_153933.jpg

20150210_213224.jpg

That's an unusual one Dayne, the hardy hole is usually the nearest the round horn. Would you be kind enough to post a close up picture of the manufacturers stamp please. 

All the best 

Andy

On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 11:12 PM, Everything Mac said:

That's an unusual one Dayne, the hardy hole is usually the nearest the round horn. Would you be kind enough to post a close up picture of the manufacturers stamp please. 

All the best 

Andy

20141120_213720.jpg