I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

So, when I started after building my forge this summer,  I had an ASO from Harbor Freight.  After using it a bit and understanding why they are held in such disdain here and elsewhere,  I realized that the 30 inch piece of railroad rail that someone had very roughly cut  out a horn shape on would be a better anvil for me with some modifications,  as the eBay and even Centaur Forge anvils would be a no go from the wife after everything else I've spent on this hobby.

So I used a 5 inch angle grinder and a cutoff wheel to cut as deep as possible all the way around at about 9 inches tall, but there was still a lot of connection.  Based on advice from this site I put one end on a 4x4 and hit it a few times with a 10 lb sledgehammer and it broke  in two. I'll post more when the two pieces are cleaned up and on a stand.

20160103_083715.jpg

20160103_082902.jpg

For some reason this "Show Me Your Anvil" came up when I opened IFI tonight and it started at page 1 June 13 2006.  Glenn started it and now has 157 pages to it and of course the vast majority of the pictures have been lost.  I looked at the first couple pages and noticed the same subjects, "Where do I find an anvil?", "How do I set a Price?"  etc. and even a name from page 1 "Dodge" telling of making an anvil.  Unfortunately the bulk of the names I haven't seen since my 2 yrs on here started. 

I found it quite interesting reading and would encourage others to take a look, you can still learn things from the past even 10 yrs. past.

Thanks Glenn for the history lesson!

It now says 57 pages?  I  know it said 157 when it first opened up??  I feel like Rip Van Wrinkle lost 100 pages somewhere.  ;)  

1 hour ago, notownkid said:

Looks too nice to hit with a hammer, I'd have it in my living room at least till my wife got home!

Very nice indeed.

I kept my 148lb Mousehole in the living room next to the couch for all the years I lived in NYC apartments and wasn't smithing. My wife is glad that I've started up again, since she's not tripping over it any more.

It was 9 degrees out today, so I moved into the garage.  Frosty will probably say that's a veritable heatwave,  but I like being able to feel my fingers when working with an angle grinder. I cut out somewhat of a horn on the web of the piece that will stand on end and a bending bar on the other side.  

It has a nice ring to it, but the hammer leaves small indents in the top. Is that normal? Will it be much of a problem? I am just a hobbyist,  and I am not looking for perfection.

20160109_145116.jpg

Railroad Rail is usually a fairly high manganese steel in the upper end of Medium-lower end of High Carbon.  It is a work hardening steel so if you have a "newer" piece it may not be as hard as it can get compared to a worn piece---However it will be harder than any anvil used by the Vikings!  If it dents when you hit it with the hammer---well learn better hammer control!

Back in the early 1900's there were several concerns that remanufactured railroad rails into bench anvils. There have been a number of them posted in IFI and on other websites. They can usually be purchased for next to nothing but show very high quality workmanship. Here is an ad from that early time frame and a picture of my little anvil.

BS-paper.thumb.jpg.33465eae6eba4d78a96ef

hills anvil 2.jpg

Got my first real anvil last weekend, been lurking on here gaining knowledge for a couple months now, but decided I would finally make a profile. Anyway, after lots of looking at anvils I believe its a 180lb older Trenton possibly made in Germany to look like a Peter Wright. First picture should show a clear RENT with the R appearing to slant to form trentons diamond logo shape with the N being the tallest letter in the diamond.  Note that its in my apartment at college for now, it should find its way back home soon. That is an American quarter for reference on size. Dimensions are 11 inches high, 26.5 inches heel to tip of horn, and 4.5 inch wide face. One inch hardy hole. I had been previously using a ASO from harbor freight...made all my Christmas gifts with it though. I think ill be happy with this upgrade.

IFI lettering.JPG

IFI anvil pic.JPG

On 1/15/2016 at 4:07 PM, OllieTheRed said:

New to the life.  Just scored my first anvil, 158# Hay Budden, this past weekend.  Haven't even built the forge or gotten my first hammer yet.

Soon.  B)

s-l1601.thumb.jpg.cfe3b0986bb67409eefb1e

That sure is in good condition! How is the rebound?

On 1/19/2016 at 9:27 PM, smfg_mendo said:

That sure is in good condition! How is the rebound?

It's fantastic, hammer springs right off the face all around nicely, don't have a ball bearing to gauge it but it's fine and exactly what I expected from one in such good condition.  Can't wait to put it to good use :)

• 4 weeks later...