I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

i'd love to show you my hulking gob of steel but i ai'nt got one.:mad:
anybody who has a spare or knows of an anvil for sale or trade please get with me.
i live in north missouri. some people pronounce it misery.:o
buzz
thanks for the photos and stories. i think i'm gonna go check the local junkyards for an antique heirloom anvil. you never know.:D

Nice! That reminds me of the thousands of pounds worth of slugs that went into the scrap hopper at my shape cutter job. I did manage to coax a few pieces to follow me home however ;) The attached pic shows my plate anvil that was cut from one such slug. The total weight of the original slug was over 500 pounds

2723.attach

These are the three anvils in my shop currently. I had an 80lb vulcan as well which I sold to a beginner at the new england blacksmiths spring meet at the beginning of this month, the same day picked up my current anvil.

This is my main anvil, a 150lb peter wright

http://www.tharkis.com/images/anvil.jpg

this is the anvil which I used before that, an older 125lb peter wright

http://www.tharkis.com/images/anvil2.jpg

and this is the anvil which my brother gets to use so he doesnt ding my others. A 4140 cuttof with feet welded on it. I need to build a new stump to bolt it to still though.

http://www.tharkis.com/images/4140anvil1.jpg

2726.attach

2727.attach

2728.attach

140-lb pre-1910 Peter Wright. Aged, badly abused, and severely chipped, but no cracks or large chunks broken off. Stand fabbed from scrap angle, strap iron and some fresh 1" square tubing. Two "cutouts" at the feet for hanging tongs, and four sets of pins to hold four big hammers or six or more medium or small hammers.

Doc.

2746.attach

I consider that very generous when I just lost 50% of my workspace for smithing to his new car ! He's using half my garage now for his 1976 Triumph TR6

http://www.tharkis.com/images/tr6.jpg

He truly is the evil twin, taking over garage space for a car and not for some metal fabrication purpose ! But, he's paying me rent, so it's all good i guess. Time to build an outdoor extension to the garage for more workspace =)

That being said, that 75lb 4140 drop works /great/ as an anvil. But i dont mind so much when I hear that sharp 'ping' from a hammer missing the steel and smacking the anvil.

2747.attach

Here are my main bangers. The little one I dug out of a hillside. sorry for the nasty edges, I had to grind them down, unless you want everything looking like re-bar. the big is a russian HF special with diagonal hardie.
Picture_029.jpg

This is one I gave to a neighbor that was interested and wanted to try out banging iron.
IMG_1509_reduced.jpg

Hopefully, someday I will get a nice big one, but till them these will do
Oh, I was practicing tapering and ended up with a little black(smith) snake. head needs work, but it scared my daughter and mother in law.
Picture_0011.jpg

Here is mine! And a pic from my "shop".

I'm using a 115#ish Peter Wright. The forge is a side blast built by a friend of mine. I had started working on my side blast, and his needed to go into storage, so we helped each other out :) Only problem was that I need to move it out from under the popup carport to use.. so I put it up on wheels..

2784.attach

2785.attach

I don't have a good pic loaded but these are my two main anvils. The closer one is a 125lb. Sodorfors Sorcoress #5 and the one showing it's heals is a 202lb. Trenton.

The area is the old tarp tent I was using a couple years ago. Most of the stuff is moved into the new shop even though I haven't been able to go back to work on it yet.

Frosty

2775.attach

Here are pics of two of my anvils.
The first one is a 176# Trenton manufactured in 1923.

The second is a recently acquired 135# Hay Budden Serial # 160135.
I don't know anything about the Hay Budden as to when it was made. But it has great rebound and a wonderful ring. I am not using it yet, but I will be. Unless of course I get an insane offer from someone who wants to buy it.

I also have a 116# Peter Wright I'll try to get pics and serial #'s on it and post it soon. It's old but I don't know how old.

2778.attach

2779.attach

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my railway line contraption. It still needs a lot of grinding and perhaps hardfacing. I haven't tried forging on it yet. I felt rather clever building the base like that, it was quick and simple, but I have since discovered that it makes it impossible to move the anvil using a hand trolley.

2836.attach

2837.attach