I Forge Iron

Anyone from KwaZulu-Natal

Hi all

Joined the forum recently and thought I would see if there were any local (for me) blacksmiths.

You guys that live up "there" have all the fun, I am a knifemaker and when looking for groups for that, same thing happened, you are all up "there" :mad:

I suppose us Durban ou's don't like lifting heavy things :D

Anyway nice to hear from any Durban/Natal based smithy's

• 2 months later...

Hey bro.

I'm not a blacksmith yet, but a mate of mine and me are trying desperately to get hold of stuff to start. We can make a coal forge no problem, we just cant seem to find an anvil down in durb's anywhere. Perhaps you know of where we can pick one up?

Hi Oz

You and me both, still looking for a "real" anvil myself, cant find any here in KZN, or at least none that are available for sale.

I am currently using a anvil made from a section of railway line. It was made by a old school artisan many years ago and has a bit of horn that has been ground down on one end.

Not ideal but at least I can get small work done on it.

I found that and large engineering ball hammers and tongs at second hand tool and machinery shops in and around Durban.

You have to just keep going back again and again.

I am running a gas forge, neighbors not too happy with coal :)

Where are you guys her in KZN? you should edit your account to reflect your location :D

Thanks for the welcome. Updated my location. My mates place, where were going to be setting everything up, is on the Bluff.

Going to try work on a forge this weekend and see how that turns out. Jeff, did you buy or build your gas forge?

• 3 months later...

Hi Oz Hello Jeff,

Glad to hear there's a couple of Blacksmith in the Last Outpost. Sorry to hear you feel all deserted.:(
But hey 600 km is not that far, if you want to come up to attend a forge in or something we can accomodate you for a sleepover somewhere. There's guys coming over from Cape Town once a year. Let me know if you guys are interested, then I will keep yous in the Loop of any events.

Blacksmith greetings, Wim